Jonathan I. NirenbergPartner
As an employment lawyer, Jonathan I. Nirenberg has dedicated his career to representing employees in discrimination, retaliation, civil rights, and other employment law claims in New Jersey and New York since he graduated from Cornell Law School.
Precedent Setting Employment Law Cases
As an experienced employment lawyer, Mr. Nirenberg has extensive experience handling numerous landmark precedent-setting appeals in state and federal court. For example, in Zive v. Stanley Roberts, Inc. and Myers v. AT&T , two disability discrimination cases, Mr. Nirenberg helped make it easier for New Jersey employees to have their discrimination cases decided by juries. His other published appellate decisions include Cole v. Jersey City Medical Center, Stengart v. Loving Care Agency, Inc., Padilla v. Berkeley Educational Services of New Jersey, Inc., Brennan v. Norton, and Muller v. Exxon Research and Engineering Co.
Employment Law News and Articles
Mr. Nirenberg writes articles about important employment law news and information for the New Jersey Employment Law Blog and the New Jersey Employment Law Newsletter. He is also the author of the articles When Does the Employer Have the Burden of Proof? (New Jersey Law Journal, March 14, 2008); Are Some Employees Entitled to More than 12 Weeks of Pregnancy Leave Under State and Federal Law? (New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, Spring 2002); and When Is an Employer's Failure to Provide Notice of FMLA Rights or Designate FMLA Leave Actionable? (New Jersey Law Journal, March 29, 2004).
A New Jersey Super Lawyer Rising Star
New Jersey Super Lawyers Magazine has selected Mr. Nirenberg an Employment Law Rising Star in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Super Lawyers selects Rising Stars based on a combination of peer nominations, evaluation of candidates, and independent research. No more than 2.5% of attorneys practicing in New Jersey are selected to the Super Lawyers Rising Stars list each year. More information about the selection process is available on the Super Lawyers website.
Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubble and Lawyers.com
Mr. Nirenberg has received a AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale Hubble and lawyers.com. This rating is defined to be a testament to the fact that his peers rank him at "the highest level of professional excellence."
Experienced Employment Law Attorney
Prior to founding The Nirenberg Law Firm, Mr. Nirenberg was a founding partner of Resnick & Nirenberg, P.C., and a partner of Deutsch Resnick, P.A. He is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) and the National Employment Lawyers Association of New Jersey (NELA-NJ), as well as NELA-NJ’s amicus committee.
J.D., Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York, 1998
Major: Public Law
B.A., University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, June, 1995
Major: Political Science Minor: History
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeNew Jersey, 1998
New York, 1999
U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1998
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2002
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2002
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 2002
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
National Employment Lawyers' Association (NELA)
National Employment Lawyers' Association of New Jersey (NELA-NJ)
- When Does the Employer Have the Burden of Proof?, New Jersey Law Journal, March 14, 2008
- Are Some Employees Entitled to More than 12 Weeks of Pregnancy Leave Under State and Federal Law, New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, Spring, 2002
- When Is an Employer's Failure to Provide Notice of FMLA Rights or Designate FMLA Leave Actionable?, New Jersey Law Journal, March 29, 2004
- Cole v. Jersey City Medical Center (App. Div. 2012)
- Padilla v. Berkeley Educational Services of New Jersey, Inc., 383 N.J. Super. 177 (App. Div. 2005)
- Myers v. AT&T, 380 N.J. Super. 443 (App. Div. 2005)
- Brennan v. Norton, 350 F.3d 399 (3d Cir. 2003)
- Zive v. Stanley Roberts, Inc., 182 N.J. 436 (2003)
- Muller v. Exxon Research and Engineering Co., 345 N.J. Super. 595 (App. Div. 2001)
Past Employment Positions
- Resnick & Nirenberg, P.C., 2006-2011
- Deutsch Resnick, P.A., 1998-2005